Thursday, June 19, 2014

One Step

First steps toward the fulfillment of a dream can be exciting and daunting. The realization that one's lifelong goal might actually be accomplished is a heady rush of joy with a side of churning nausea. But the one saving grace in the maelstrom of emotions is success may be at hand.

I'm not one to rush into the unknown. I used to be impulsive and have a Scarlett O'Hara mentality about life. "I'll think about that tomorrow." The older I get, the more I realize how wise it is to be cautious and take time to do things correctly.

I've always wanted to be a writer. I remember making up poems and writing short plays as young as 10 years old. I was considered to be something of an overachiever on essays and literature projects. And I have a master's degree to teach English. But those things don't get works published.

The only way to see my name on the cover of a book is to put myself out there. It's crazy to look back at all the reasons I allowed my dreams to wait, but at the same time, everything happens in its proper time...and now it's time to move forward past the "what if's".

So what are my baby steps and dreams?

Midnight Diamonds is my first full length novel, and I hope to see it published in the near future. Yesterday I submitted the manuscript to three publishers...baby step (okay, HUGE step, but it's a baby step in the journey toward being published). Now I wait to see if anyone is as excited about the story as I am. Does it help that it's a series with three more books? I hope so!

What's the worst that can happen? No one buys the book. Then what? Well, there are hundreds of publishers and ebook companies to contact. But the best part has happened: I finished the book, have started the 2nd one, and have submitted my work for review.

Baby steps and dreams. Walking doesn't come naturally. We have to learn how, and sometimes we fall down hard. But we stand up with help from family and friends, and keep going, reaching for our dreams.

One step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. As a sideline coach, I see finishing your book and putting it out there to be contracted or rejected is a huge step. I'm very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete